Thursday, January 22, 2009

Korean Democracy Album Update #1

So usually I try to make sure the writing quality on this blog is high and that I write about interesting and funny things in somewhat of a story/essay format. I try not to riff too much on pop culture and I'm dead against showing the results of "What Famous Person Would Are You Most Like?" surveys, but since the creative well has been relatively dry lately, I'm going to write about the progress of my album, which is not going to be called Korean Democracy. I just refer to it as that for kicks.

So I've written one song for the album thus far. I believe it'll open the album. I tend to like to plan out where songs will go as I write them, probably not wise, but I'm a big picture type of guy and that's how it's always been. I haven't decided the number of tracks, but I'm sure it's safe to say it'll be around 10-15. There probably won't be any interludes or reprises, especially since interludes seem kind of weird on a solo album (even though mine is shaping up to be quite collaborative).

So my one song is simple. It doesn't display my improved guitar playing prowess during the past 7 years (I assume there's been some improvement), and it doesn't necessarily show any growth as a song writer (but perhaps I'm not the right person to decide that), but what's important is that it's a starting point. And usually when something gets the ball rolling, everything else kind of falls into place. Also, if this is indeed the song that will open the album, it's not necessarily a bad thing to start with something sparse and simple opposed to blasting someone in the face with a wall of distorted de-tuned guitars (see Masters of the Sonic Arts for that).

So aside from this, all I know is I'm trying to keep the expectations to a minimum. I will try my best not to curb this into a concept album, but I do realize that this will probably be my last album while I'm in my 20s. It's kind of a weird realization but I'm not scared to turn 30 (in 3 years) and I don't see this necessarily as an end. Perhaps it's the thought of buying a house that I fear most. Likewise, getting older doesn't necessarily mean this album has to necessarily be a gentler affair. It'll probably be like a Sebadoh album without the Jason Lowenstein and Eric Gaffney songs (but still not a Lou Barlow solo album). It's the plan I've had ever since I picked up a guitar in high school. So don't be afraid friends, just because I'm growing up doesn't mean that I have to grow old.

No comments: