Monday, January 5, 2009

Going for the Gold

I've never been able to find my niche with New Years Eve. It sounds silly, but I don't think I've ever spent it with the same people or doing the same thing. Sure there's a countdown at some point but that's it. I don't even sing Auld Lang Syne or come up with crazy resolutions, I just go through the motions and that kind of makes me sad.

So this past New Years Eve, I decided that I'd make an honest effort to find some sort of tradition that I can carry with me in my single years. I can't say I'll be spending New Years Eve '09 with the same people that I spent New Years Eve '08 with but I think it'll be safe to say that in a year, I will find someone to enjoy some scotch with.

I've been getting into scotch for the past few months and it's been an exciting journey. I haven't been drinking alone, I've been mostly drinking scotch with Sherlan. We decided to cap 2008 with a bottle of Johnny Walker Green. While perhaps not a "high roller" bottle of scotch, it was more "higher end" than anything we'd previously experienced and I found it fitting to end the year with something new, and since we ended 2008 with something new, I hope to end 2009 likewise, with a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold. (*Disclaimer, we didn't drink the entire bottle of Green, nor will we aspire to drink an ENTIRE bottle of Gold in 09).

A bottle of Gold is pricey, but I think my aspiration for every new year is to have a better year than the last year. So hopefully in 2010 I'll be sipping on a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue without having to "save up" for it. (approx $150 a bottle) And while I would like to say "hopefully I'll be drinking this scotch with my future wife", or "I'm drinking this with the friends I will live my life with until I die", I know these are things that are out of my control. The thing I do have control over is that I will be sipping scotch as that big ball drops in Time Square every year.

No comments: