Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why Jesus Would Listen to Fugazi

(Disclaimer: No scripture was harmed in the process of writing this entry. If you're expecting scripture, go here)

Every now and then, I will get brought into some inane hypothetical discussion about Jesus of Nazareth, who was begat by Mary, a virgin and so on. These hypothetical discussion are never about whether Jesus was really the son of God or whether he was any good at being a carpenter. These discussion center around Jesus in the present day. What car would he drive? (Prius?) What would be his favorite kind of ethnic food? The question that usually gets me in trouble is "What kind of music do you think Jesus would listen to?"

It's a much more complicated question than it sounds. The immediate reaction is: Christian music. I don't think it's absolutely wrong to think that, but I think it would be inaccurate to believe that this is what he would listen to all the time. I don't know about you, but I think it would be kind of weird to listen to songs that are about how awesome you are, all the time. To say Jesus would listen to this kind of music all the time, makes the indirect statement that Jesus is a narcissist, and while he often proclaims himself to be God, I'd like to think of my Lord and Savior to be better than that. I'm sure he'd listen to it on the way to church and when he's in a reflective mood, but not while he's blasting down PCH in his car. (Prius?)

He was a simple man who reached out to the poor and those who were being unfairly mistreated (social outcasts, the sick, short tax collectors than nobody liked), so it seems to me that Jesus would listen to music about social injustice opposed to the latest T-Pain album. He'd also probably want something upbeat and rocking to help him get pumped up. I think he'd listen to Fugazi. Fugazi is a post-punk/hardcore band with a cult fanbase because they're a band that rose from the DC hardcore scene in the mid-late 80s and is respected for not selling out (won't sign to a major label, keep their ticket prices around $10, won't license their music to corporations). I saw Ian Mackaye (guitarist/singer) from the band do a Q and A session at my alma mater a few weeks ago and I saw that he's a humble, intelligent, passionate, and down to earth guy. He told stories, explained lyrics and collaborations and made it clear that his work should not be put on a pedestal. To paraphrase him, he basically said "don't pine for a Minor Threat (his old band) reunion, go out and make a band that blows Minor Threat out of the water."

I know Fugazi has no religious affiliation, so I'm not trying to say "if you take the lyrics from Suggestion, you can see Ian Mackeye is singing to God". I'm just saying that Jesus would respect Ian Mackeye's integrity, DIY ethics, and his socially conscience lyrics. Fugazi is basically jock jams for people who want to save the world (in a good way) and I could definitely see Jesus walking into an impoverished neighborhood ready to do his work with singing these lyrics to himself:

"the elected are such willing partners
look who's buying all their tickets to the game
what development wants, development gets, it's official
development wants this neighborhood gone so the city just wants the same
talking about process and dismissal
forced removal of the people on the corner
shelter and location
everybody wants somewhere" - "Cashout" by Fugazi

And I could also see him driving down the 405 at night rocking out to "Long Distance Runner" after a long day of work or chilling at home listening the Evens (Mackeye's new project).

(*Side note, I'm not going to make the argument that Jesus is straight edge. He made wine, so I assume he also drank it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Top 5